Auto Value of Ishpeming: Buy Brake Pads
At Auto Value of Ishpeming we understand that different types of brake pads offer unique advantages for West Ishpeming drivers. All brake pads used to be made from asbestos because of its heat-absorbing properties. In time, brake pad manufacturers realized asbestos wasn't environmentally friendly. The automotive industry switched to organic, ceramic and metallic brake pads. Come by our store at 1500 US-41 or call today at 906-485-6328 and let an auto parts specialist at Auto Value of Ishpeming help you determine which brake pads are right for your driving style.
Organic Brake Pads
Organic brake pads are made of a mixture of synthetic fibers and resin. They can be found on two-thirds of new vehicles sold within the United States
- Produce less dust than some other types of brake pads
- Affordable, low price point
- Generate a moderate amount of friction and less noise
- Low stress on the brake rotors
- Less reliable in extreme weather or with aggressive driving
Ceramic Brake Pads
Ceramic brake pads use a ceramic material very similar to the type of ceramics used to make pottery. Ceramic brake pads are embedded with fine copper fibers that conduct heat and reduce friction. Developed in the 1980s, ceramic brake pads are increasingly found on new vehicles.
- Ceramic brake pads are extremely quiet
- Produce less dust and other particles
- Perform under a wide range of temperatures and driving conditions
- More expensive than organic or metallic brake pads
- Not recommended for very cold climates or racing
Metallic Brake Pads
Metallic brake pads are a mixture of 30% and 70% metal combined with a graphite lubricant and other binders. This compound is preferred by high-performance car and truck owners because they offer improved sensitivity under a wider range of temperatures and conditions.
- Withstand more heat while simultaneously helping braking systems cool
- Don't compress as much as organic brakes
- Produce more noise than organic or ceramic brake pads
- Moderately priced
- Produce more brake dust than ceramic or organic brake pads